Thursday, January 15, 2009

What you get for $40k

So, today was a great day! As an MBA student, I get to go to the Economic Club of Phoenix lunches for free, which is an awesome benefit as it costs like $5,000 to join and a $100 for each lunch. No students ever go, but I decided that I was going to check one out because, well, because I am me and I never pass up something like that. So, last month I registered for today's lunch. The keynote speaker was none other than Ret. Justice Sandra Day O'Connor (who, as my mom pointed out, has the same initials as I did before I got married...my mom is so cute).

Anyway, the whole thing was just plain cool. I got there at 11.30, and schmoozed a bit with some business people from around town (there were around 400 people there). Then, we were seated and briefed on the wonderful economic circumstances we have ahead in 2009. After a lecture by the Dean of the ASU Law School and and awesome lunch (they served chicken but upon my request whipped up a yummy veggie dish), SDO took the stage. She spoke about the importance of judicial independence in the courts (she believes in a merit based appointment approach over elected judges). She was so interesting and SO funny and sarcastic, it was awesome. The woman is like 80 years old and such a spitfire. After she talked she did a Q&A and we were rolling on the floor laughing by her responses. I gained a ton of respect for her just because she was such an awesome speaker and jazzed everyone up (although, as Tim pointed out, he disagrees with her equal opportunity jurisprudence)

After it ended, I enjoyed the ride back to work with my windows down in 75* weather. As I write my 4 page paper tonight (my team just left after a 3 hour meeting), I will try to think about the great benefits (aside from learning of course) that I am getting from the MBA program...we will see how long that lasts

1 comment:

  1. Hi darling........

    This is your mom.........I finally got a chance to check out your blog, and I think you're so cute, too.........I like the blog......have a great journey..........

    Love Always......

    Mom

    ReplyDelete